Hi Players & Parents
This is an update to the status of the winter session being worked on by SSMHA. The executive met last night and decided on the following items – please keep in mind that there are a lot of variables at play here and we are trying to fit within a lot of knowns and unknowns.
The emergency measures have been extended to the arena facilities till at least Feb 10, 2021 and thus cannot open until Feb 11, 2021. This date will be reviewed by the government and the health unit closer to that date and may be extended or lifted depending on cases and other criteria.
Due to this, we will not be starting on Jan 24, 2021 and have pushed back the possible restart. SSMHA does require time in order to arrange coaches, trainers and volunteers for our programs and thus we are looking at a possible Feb 28, 2021 restart. A Feb 28, 2021 restart will only happen if the arena is available, our area is deemed by the health unit to be a zone in which a sufficient number of players are allowed on the ice surface and that the overall safety of our players, parents, coaches & trainers is acceptable to the executive of SSMHA.
If we are able to restart on Feb 28, 2021, we will be offering a reduced session of 9 weeks instead of 12. We will refund the 25% difference to the parents. The session will end on May 1, 2021. If we are unable to restart on Feb 28, 2021 then we will be considering cancelling the winter session completely and we will refund 100% of the registration fees collected for the winter session.
Please note that all of this is tentative at best and we are simply trying to provide information as to a scenario that makes sense with everything we currently know.
We will be meeting again on Feb 8, 2021 to determine what options are available at that time and we hope to have a clearer picture of the situation. Until then, we appreciate your patience through all of this and hope that everyone is taking care and staying safe.
Yours in Hockey,
Hi Players & Parents
Dear Players and Parents:
Please read completely – very important information re: winter session format and registration.
On Tuesday December 29th the executive met to discuss the second half of the season (winter session) and the following items were decided:
- Due to the fact that we are unable to start until Jan 24, 2021, we are extending the year and will finish on Apr 18, 2021 instead of the usual end of March – this allows us to provide 12 weeks with 2 sessions a week for a total of 24 ice times – same as we did in the fall session.
- The format will look very similar to the fall session, although the players may be on different pods and the on ice times will be changed as well.
- The numbers registered for the winter session are down slightly and we reviewed each level to see if tiering was an option at any level. The numbers do not support this at any level and thus we will not be tiering. Please note, most levels have 4 or 5 pods and thus any tiering would cause 2 pods to scrimmage against each other for the whole 12 weeks. We do not feel that this would be in the best interest of all the players of SSMHA.
- The schedule will have designated development and designated scrimmage sessions for better clarity of expectation for players, coaches and parents.
- The schedule, pods and bubbles will not be released until after Jan 18, 2021 to allow us time to organize everything and to ensure that the lockdown is not extended. If the lockdown is shortened, then we will advise the players and parents of the new start and finish dates.
- We will be playing through the March break this year.
- Any player that participated in the fall session, has registered for the winter session and has paid the registration fee for the winter session have been assured a place.
- If you participated in the fall session and have registered but not paid for the winter session or did not participate in the fall session and have registered for the winter session and are unpaid as requested – these two groups are on the waiting list and the first participants to make payment to the treasurer will be first to fill in the remaining places available in the pods and bubbles. We do have maximum numbers per pod/bubble and once it is full then we will create a waiting list to determine whether or not we would consider expanding to another pod/bubble. Basically, first paid is first served with the remaining places for all those unpaid at this time.
- Payments and registrations will only be accepted up to and including Jan 5, 2021 – after that date, we are closing registration for the winter session.
We thank everyone for their patience and support during this year and all the best in the new year!
Yours in Hockey,
Hi Players and Parents;
Please note that today is the deadline for payment of registration fees for the second half of the 2020/21 season.
Payment of this fee will secure your place for the second half and also allows us to make decisions as to what exactly our numbers are when constructing our groups and levels. Thus if you have registered but not yet paid, you are essentially on a waiting list that is dependent on openings available.
Some may be wondering why we are requesting the full fee if we are starting 3 weeks into the second half. Some of the options that we are reviewing is still offering a 12 week program (24 ice times) as being contemplated prior to the recent lockdown. This may be accomplished either by extending the season, additional ice times within the available or other means. If we are unable to provide the 24 ice times then the balance will either be refunded or transferred as a credit against the 2021/22 season.
Please submit your payment to the Treasurer to ensure your spot!
Yours in Hockey,